- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup instant coffee crystals or instant espresso coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whiskey or milk
- Hot water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Prepare 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl combine unsweetened chocolate and sweet chocolate. Microwave, uncovered, on 100-percent power (high) for 1 minute; stir. Continue for 30 seconds more; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a 2-cup glass measure combine coffee crystals and boiling water, stirring to dissolve coffee crystals. Add enough cold water to coffee to measure 1-1/2 cups. Stir in the 1/2 cup bourbon.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar.
- Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in chocolate and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and coffee mixture to chocolate mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan; cool completely on rack.
- Brush top and side of cake with the 2 tablespoons bourbon.
- In a saucepan melt semisweet chocolate pieces and butter over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth and easy to spread.
- In a medium bowl; beat egg yolks with a fork until combined. Set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine butter and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is bubbly.
- Gradually whisk butter mixture into egg yolks.
- Return egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until mixture reaches a temperature of 170 degrees F.
- Remove from heat. Stir in whiskey. If necessary, stir in hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach desired consistency.
- If desired, cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour (if sauce becomes too thick, stir in hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin sauce).
Quick Tip: Swap out the whiskey for milk for a non-alcoholic option!
Thanks to I am Baker for an indulging sweet treat!