I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of this before! I guess when you’re used to making something the certain way, it doesn’t even occur to you there might be an easier way to do it. I was used to cooking creamed spinach on the stove-top, but this is so much better!
A fun way of turning this into a dip is to use Mexican cheese blend and add a couple of dices jalapenos as well as some red pepper flakes. Believe me, it’s delicious with corn chips or as a taco filling!
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen Birds Eye spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Breakstone’s cottage cheese
- 1 cup Kraft parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Kraft American cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose Gold Medal flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted Land o Lakes butter, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix together spinach, eggs, flour and all of the cheese. Season to taste, then mix in cubed butter, just so that it’s distributed.
Transfer mixture to greased slow cooker, cover and cook on HIGH for 1-1 1/2 hours (or on LOW for 3-4), or until edges are just starting to brown.
Give it a good stir, taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve hot.
Quick Tip: This recipe serves 6.
Thanks to 12 Tomatoes for this creamy spinach side you’ll turn to every time!