It only takes 10 minutes to prepare this for the slow cooker, after that you’re free to do whatever you want for the next six hours. It’s hard to believe something so simple can be so tasty, but it really is!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or thighs, cubed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 6-8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Crackers, for serving
- Add the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, olive oil, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, salt and pepper to a slow cooker. Give everything a good stir. Add 6 cups chicken broth; cover and cook for 4-6 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low.
- Just before serving, add the tortellini and cook an additional 10 minutes on High. If desired, add more broth. Once the tortellini is soft, stir in the Parmesan cheese, parsley and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Quick Tip: Instead of tortellini feel free to try ravioli or another favorite pasta!
Thanks to Betty Crocker for tasty soup, perfect for a weeknight meal!