My absolute favorite for this super smooth red velvet cake is the cream cheese frosting. However, if you don’t like cream cheese you can use pretty much any type of frosting you prefer, or simply whipped cream. It’s going to be so delicious anyway!
And who says it needs to be a RED velvet cake? You can change the color easily just by using different food coloring, or even make separate layers in different colors!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon Heinz vinegar
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- Cream the sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, beat till smooth and well blended.
- Add the flour, cocoa, and salt to the mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, beating well.
- Add the vanilla and red food coloring.
- Mix the baking soda and Heinz vinegar together and fold into the batter by hand; stir just enough to get it inches.
- Pour into a greased and floured pan and bake in a 350 degree oven, 30 minutes; can be baked in two layers also.
Quick Tip: Frost with cream cheese frosting, whipped cream, or any other favorite icing of your choice!
Thanks to Food for this irresistible sweet treat.
Pages: 1 2