Here’s what I always do to make things even easier: whenever we’re having mashed potatoes as a side dish, I’ll make a double batch. That way I can use the leftovers to cook this meal the next day!
- 1-1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans, baby lima beans)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
Boil potatoes in a medium pot of salted water until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper, set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large saute pan brown meat over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When cooked, set aside on a plate. Add the oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms and celery and sauté on medium heat about 7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer on low about 10 minutes.
Spread the meat on the bottom of casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the broiler 1 to 2 minutes until the potatoes turn golden. Remove from oven, let cool for a moment before serving.
USE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW
Quick Tip: Cutting carbs? Try using mashed cauliflower instead!
Thanks to Skinnytaste for this lightened up casserole perfect for the whole family!