A friend of mine has celiac disease so I’m always searching for new and improved gluten-free recipes. I’ve been disappointed so many times, when they’ve turned out either really dry, or just somehow gummy and heavy. This is nothing like that! It’s so fluffy and delicious – I can’t wait to bake my friend this cake!
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups Pamela’s artisan gluten-free flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups carrots, finely shredded (I used a little over 2 cups)
- ½ cup pureed carrots (optional but great!)
- ½ cup sweet coconut flakes, finely shredded
FROSTING (double the recipe if you like a thick layer of frosting)
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 cup confectioners sugar (may need more to thicken if desired)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. Set aside
- Cream together oil, sugars, and eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Mix just until fully combined.
- Fold in shredded & pureed carrots, coconut flakes and vanilla extract.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until center is set. (do not over bake!)
- Place pans directly into freezer to cool.
- While cakes are cooling prepare the frosting by first creaming together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add in the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract.
- Mix until silky and creamy. Add more sugar if a thicker texture is needed.
- When cakes are cooled remove them from pans and frost, sprinkling the tops with walnuts.
Quick Tip: For dairy allergies, replace buttermilk with coconut milk mixed with 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice.
Thanks to Divas Can Cook for this scrumptious and gluten-free dessert!