It may sound a little odd to put marshmallows on top of your casserole but I promise you won’t be disappointed! Every now and then it’s good to try out something completely different – especially if that something is going to be as delicious as this.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1/4 cup finely chopped candied or crystallized ginger
- 4 pounds Garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- Heat the oven to broil and arrange a rack in the lower third.
- Melt butter in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat until foaming. Add brown sugar, water, salt, and ground ginger. Cook, stir occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes, stir to combine, and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer, stir every few minutes, until the sweet potatoes are starting to fall apart at the edges, 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes and any liquid to a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows over the sweet potatoes. Broil until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
USE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW
Quick Tip: If your marshmallows happen to burn under the broiler (oops!), take the casserole out and let it cool. Then, easily remove the top layer in one piece and replace with a new one. No one will even taste the difference!
Thank to Chowhound for this flavorful sweet potato side!