I just love Crock Pot recipes because I’m often too busy to use a lot of time preparing meals. It’s so great to come home after running errands to find a delicious meal ready – I can just sit back, enjoy and relax!
- 8 oz (2½ cups) ziti
- 1 tsp extra-virgin oil
- 1½ C boiling water
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ tbsp tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh oregano or ½ tsp dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 3 oz (3/4 cup) part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- ½ C chopped fresh basil
- Line a slow cooker with an aluminum foil collar and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Microwave ziti and oil in a bowl at half power, stirring occasionally, until some pasta pieces look toasted, up to 5 minutes.
- Transfer hot pasta to slow cooker and immediately stir in boiling water (pasta will sizzle). Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, ½ tsp salt, and pepper flakes until evenly combined.
- Cover and cook until pasta is tender, 2-3 hours on high.
- Remove foil collar. Gently stir pasta, adding hot water as needed to loosen sauce consistency, season with salt and pepper.
- Drop spoonfuls of ricotta on top of casserole and sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover and cook on high until cheese is melted (5 minutes).
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
Quick Tip: Set the microwave at 50% power to yield the ideal pasta texture
Thanks to A Kitchen Addiction for this comforting and simple meal!