If you know you have a busy week ahead of you, you can make this ahead and either refridgerate or freeze it. Just be careful not to overcook the broccoli.
- 4 cups (10 ounces) fresh broccoli florets and stems, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup minced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 12-ounce can 2% or regular evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cup cooked rice
- Microwave chopped broccoli and stems until tender but still bright green. Squeeze lemon over broccoli.
- Melt butter in skillet. Add onions, garlic, celery and mushrooms, saute until softened. Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and continue whisking until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1½ cup cheese and stir to melt.
- [Microwave directions for Step 2] Add butter, onions, celery and mushrooms to 2 quart batter bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Add flour to vegetables and stir. Whisk in milk and cook uncovered on HIGH for 6-7 minutes. Whisk after 4 minutes and once every minute thereafter to even out the cooking. Season to taste. Add 1½ cup cheese and stir to melt. Sauce will thicken more as it sits.
- Combine broccoli, rice, and cheese sauce. Turn into 1½ quart greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F until bubbly.
USE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW
Quick Tip: Rice will absorb moisture prepped for a long time before cooking. If this is the case add 1/4 cup of milk before baking!
Thanks to Salad in a Jar for this go-to side dish the whole family will enjoy!