Our friends over at For the Love of Cooking have received great feedback from their fans:
This is absolutely fabulous! I have made this several time for my picky family and they all love it.
It really is a great recipe and brilliant for those days when you are running out of dinner ideas!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 15 oz Ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
- Dash of fresh nutmeg, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (divided)
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese (divided)
- Manicotti shells, cooked per instructions
- 3 cups of marinara sauce (divided)
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (divided)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray and pour 1 cup of marinara and coat entire baking dish.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the turkey sausage removed from casing. Cook for 1-2 minutes, crumbling the sausage with a spatula. Add the onions and mushrooms, cook for 3-4 minutes. Once the meat is cooked through and crumbled and the onions are tender, add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
Cook the manicotti noodles and let cool. In a large bowl add the cooled meat mixture, ricotta cheese, grated nutmeg, parsley, basil, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, then mix thoroughly. Place the mixture into a large zip lock bag and cut a hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe filling into each manicotti shell then place into the baking dish. Continue process until you are out of filling and shells. Pour the remaining marinara sauce on top of the manicotti then top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Cover the baking dish with a piece of tin foil and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove tin foil and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 7-10 minutes.
USE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW
Thanks to For the Love of Cooking for this delicious belly-filling meal!
How much turkey Italian sausage do you use for this recipe