This recipe calls for edamame, but I didn’t have that in the fridge. I actually chose to go a different route because I had some other veggies that needed to be used. I had broccoli and I also had red peppers. I put the red peppers in this casserole and they give the casserole this sweet tangy kick. It was perfect. When I make this casserole again I will will probably try with zucchini or squash. I also loved how gooey the cheese was with the alfredo sauce. This casserole was such a hit with the family!
Check out what our friends from I Cook For Leftovers have to say about this:
“An easy meal to put together with pantry staples such as jarred Alfredo sauce”
You will have most of these ingredients already in your fridge or pantry!
- 2 cups Miller’s pasta of your choice
- 2/3 cup leftover shredded chicken
- 2/3 cup leftover sausage, diced
- 1 5-ounce (individual) package shelled edamame, microwaved for 2 minutes to thaw
- 1 10-ounce package Green Giant frozen broccoli spears or cuts, microwaved for 3 minutes to thaw
- 1 jar prepared Prego Alfredo Sauce
- 1/2 cup pasta water (I just scoop some out prior to draining with a coffee cup)
- 1/3 to 1/2 shredded cheese to top with. Kraft Parmesan, Fontina, Mozzarella, Romano, Asiago…any would be fine mixed together or alone.
Cook the pasta of your choice, and follow the cooking directions on the package. My pasta had a 10 minute cooking time. I reduced the cooking time to 8 1/2 minutes since it would be further cooked in the oven.
While the pasta was cooking, I quick-thawed the frozen items in the microwave, just to bring everything to an unfrozen state. The vegetables would get their real cooking in the oven.
Butter a large casserole dish.
Combine the cooked pasta with the edamame.
Add all other ingredients including the pasta water, and mix well.
I also added a little bit of water, probably about 1/2 cup, to the empty jar of sauce to get the last little bit of sauce clinging to the sides. Waste not, want not.
Top with a little grated cheese- I had Pecorino Pepato and Fontina on hand, but anything would work, and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.
USE RED NEXT PAGE LINK BELOW
Quick Tip: Serve with garlic bread.
Thanks again to I Cook ForLeftovers for this amazing recipe.